Saturday, January 8, 2011

Orzo with Chicken, Mushrooms and Red Peppers

Yes, I realize this isn't really baking...... but it's half my blog and I can post whatever I want. This recipe is really, really good. I like to leave the mushrooms out because I hate them.... but sometimes I put them in for Sam. It is good either way. I forgot to take a picture last time I made it, so you can just use your imagination. Imagine something real delicious looking. This recipe came from Mel's Kitchen Cafe.

1 Tb. olive oil
2 chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 red peppers, chopped
8 oz. white mushrooms, sliced
1 tsp. thyme
3 garlic cloves
1 lb. orzo pasta
8 oz. cream cheese (okay to use reduced fat)
1 c. pasta water
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 c. freshly grated parmesan cheese (I just use the Walmart brand already shredded in the bag)
Juice from 1/2-1 lemon
Cook the orzo. When done save one cup of the pasta water and drain the rest. Heat the olive oil and cook the chicken until browned. Add mushrooms, peppers and thyme. Cook for 5 minutes. Add the garlic (minced). Cook for 1 minute. Add the cream cheese and stir around until melted. Mix in the reserved pasta water. Now add 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Throw in the pasta. I usually don't end up putting all of it in. Lastly add the parmesan cheese and the lemon juice. I usually only put half a lemon's juice in but the original recipe called for juice from a whole lemon..... depends on how lemony you like things. Now go and eat some!

No comments:

Post a Comment