Friday, February 19, 2010

Oatmeal Chocolate Caramel Bars


This is yet another really good recipe from My Kitchen Cafe. These were really good..... buttery and caramely and oatmealy. I shouldn't have made these today. I'm only supposed to make a treat once a week but I saw these yesterday and wanted to try them. I told myself, "Self, you don't need to make these today. No treats, remember? You want to lose weight don't you? Don't you???" But the next thing I knew I had melted some butter and mixed in some brown sugar... and then it was just too late. I gave most of them away so that makes it a little bit better. Sort of.

1 1/2 c. flour
1 1/2 c. oatmeal
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 c. brown sugar
1 c. melted butter

14 oz. bag of caramels
1/2 c. whipping cream or milk
1 pkg. chocolate chips

Mix the first 6 ingredients together. Sprinkle half of the mixture into a 9x13 pan. Press down lightly. Bake 10-15 minutes until lightly browned. Melt caramels and milk, stir until smooth. When the bars have been removed from the oven, sprinkle with chocolate chips and then pour the caramel over the top. Sprinkle the rest of the oatmeal mixture over the top. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Let the bars cool all the way before eating so they can set up.

1 comment:

  1. Yummy. I've had these before and they are also really good when you warm them up and eat with ice cream.

    ReplyDelete