Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Best Wheat Bread Ever


I'm not good at making bread. I've tried really hard and tried many, many recipes but it just would never turn out right...... until I found this recipe. This is the best wheat bread. Either I've finally figured out how to do it or this is just a really good recipe that even I can't mess up. The only problem is that it is too big for my mixer so I have to knead it by hand, which gives you a nice upper body workout but also makes a big mess. It's worth it though because it's so good or you could just cut the recipe in half. I've been using white wheat and I think it makes a big difference. It still has all the fiber and good things wheat does but it tastes a lot less wheaty.... too bad wheaty isn't a real word.

3 1/2 c. hot water
1 can evaporated milk
3 Tbsp. yeast
2/3 c. oil
1 c. honey
1 c. white flour
3 Tbsp. gluten (can sometimes find at Wal Mart)
2 Tbsp. dough enhancer (can buy in Utah or see first post on this blog for a recipe)
1 1/2 Tbsp. salt
12 c. white wheat flour

Dissolve the yeast in the warm water until foamy. Add milk, oil, honey, white flour, gluten, dough enhancer, and salt. Add 1/2 of wheat flour. Slowly mix in the rest of the flour. If the dough is still really sticky you can add more white flour. Knead for 8 minutes. The original recipe does not let the dough rise at this point but I have, just for about 20-30 minutes. Shape the dough into 4 loaves and place in pans. You can push the dough down around the edges into the pan so that the top is nice and round. Let rise 1 hour. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Don't over bake! Brush loaves with melted butter. Let cool in pans for a few minutes and then remove to cool completely on wire racks.

No comments:

Post a Comment